Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Peacock and the Partridge


My kitchen was recently remodeled by the previous owners and it came out wonderfully. The color choice was not my style, though. All the walls of the kitchen were painted a faded yellow. After reading a story called the yellow wall paper in 11th grade I refuse to have yellow walls in my house - wall paper or otherwise!


I'm a fan on the toile style floating around the home magazines and my aunt even used the theme once before in her living room. I found toile curtains and cute wedgewood style plates to place on the plate shelf surrounding my kitchen walls. The plate shelf and wainscoting were painted an antique white to match the kitchen cabinets and the remaining walls were painted a bright blue to match the curtains and plates. It came out amazing - I still secretly smile to myself every time I walk into my kitchen (6 months later!).


There was one large blue wall that was screaming for a painting and who better to make one than me! I took the white and blue paints I used on the walls and an additional dark and light blue to compliment them and made a painting of a peacock and partridge that played off one of the plates on the wall. It's a perfect match!

No comments: