Thursday, January 1, 2009

Limoncello

Whenever I'm on an overnight business trip to DC, I make sure to visit my aunt who lives down there. She and I are kindred spirits and there is no doubt that we come from the same genetic pool.


During my last visit I she offered my some "Lemon Jello" for dessert. She's a fantastic cook, so I was ready and willing to give it a try.


Apparently I misheard and she introduced me to Limoncello. It's simply wonderful! She had an old family recipe that she had been too busy to try, and knowing my crafty betty-homemaker personality she entrusted it to me to give it a try.


My husband and I sat down one evening while watching our TV shows and started peeling lemons. Days later it was finished and it tasted good. We were so thrilled we made 2 more batches of orangecello after as well and have another batch of lemoncello in the works.

Since my aunt provided me with the recipe, I thought it only right to provide her with some of my results. I didn't really have any nice bottles, so we resued some of out empty liquor bottles until we acquired a few. For my aunt, I took an old Godiva White Chocolate bottle (they don't come in white anymore...see how often I drink the stuff?) and peeled off the stickers. I painted "Nikki's Limoncello" on the front and "2008" on the back. She and her family loved it during my stay with her at Christmas.

No comments: