Saturday, January 24, 2009

Finishing My Grandmother's Tote Bag

My aunt knows how crafty I am and how I got a lot of my craftiness from spending time with my grandmother when I was little. She taught me needle point, plastic canvas and knitting. She made so many items and my family all has some of her crafts.

While I was visiting in DC, I went to my aunt's for dinner and she pulled out a box of my grandmother's crafts for me to pick a few since she knew how much I treasured them. One of the items I saw was a cute plastic canvas tote bag. It was not lined and has plastic canvas handles, so it was a little impractical for work, but I used it anyway because I loved it. Even a few men at work commented on how they liked my "briefcase".

When the canvas handles finally broke two weeks ago I finally decided it was time to upgrade the bag with my own touches. I found some satin material I had lying around and made a lining for the bag. I added a zippered pocket and little pouches that are custom fit to my cell phone, blackberry and keys. I also added cute leather handles that are more durable. It breathed new life into an older tote!

1 comment:

Miss L's Craft Room said...

I love the bag! I'll have to stop by and check it out.