Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Cousin's 21st Birthday

My cousin B is the closest thing I have to a sister. We are both only children, and grew up very close to one another, but we couldn't be any more different. She is a social butterfly who likes to have fun at parties, enjoys designer clothing and is studying to be a lawyer. I am very shy, enjoy finding a bargain or making things myself and have a technical career. In reality our differences are quite a compliment to one another.

Since her 21st birthday was this summer and it's an important one, I thought I'd ask her what she would like. She knew right away she wanted a painting made by me. She always admired my art in high school and her mother even owns one of my pieces already. She said she wanted something black and white and romantic. Her idea of romantic is different from mine, but I was up for a challenge.

Based on her a piece called "The Embrace" from her favorite photographer - Bahner Bertram - I created this painting. I am much more comfortable creating black and white pieces with colored pencil and graphite than acrylic, but she asked for a painting. I'm also not great at doing people, but it was a challenge I was willing to take on for her. She ended up liking the piece very much.

No comments: